Thursday, May 17, 2012

The Product of Free Time

My first year of medical school has officially ended, leaving me dazed and confused with the sudden appearance of - whoa! - free time. Not only have I watched three seasons of "The Game," one season of "Game of Thrones," cleaned my car, done seven loads of forgotten laundry, and actually cooked a real meal, I have googled the hell out of USMLE study guides and compiled a comprehensive study plan - all in the four days since my last final. Oh wait, I am sorry, five days. I have no clue what day it actually is (my roomie just confirmed it was Wednesday)- and that fact alone is pretty awesome. Why am I looking up Step 1 study guides when I am not taking it for another year? I don't know. Probably because I, like every other type A medical student, JUST CAN'T GET ENOUGH OF MED SCHOOL! Yeah, right. It's a serious sickness. Last night, I went on my first date in over ten months with someone who was NOT in medical school. What did I do? Talk about medical school. It was kind of embarrassing actually, once I realized that every other sentence out of my mouth had to do with studying, exams, patients, hospitals, or drinking ourselves into a post-exam stupor (although those stories turn out pretty entertaining). Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love medical school and I love to talk about it, dream about it (only because I feel like I am "studying"), think about it, breath it (literally, random whiffs of cadaver lab hit my olfactory receptors weekly, and anatomy ended 5 months ago...), etc. So, when I say "serious sickness," I say that with love.

Anyway, in my extreme state of boredom, I found myself perusing other blogs by medical students, when I noticed most of them (at least the ones I came across) had ended prior to 2009. So, in case anyone happens across this, here is the beginning of a current medical student's blog. Throughout these next few months of freedom, I will attempt to catch up - you know, give my quick and dirty opinion of the pre-med years, application process, and an overview of the first year.

1 comment:

  1. Your blog is very informative, interesting, easy to read with humor thrown in for good measure. It takes an exceptional, intelligent mind to embark on this ardorous journey to be a doctor. Just reading your blog explaining some of what is required in med school was mind boggling to me. It gives me an even deeper respect for all doctors and those awesome people that choose this profession.

    ReplyDelete