Friday, May 25, 2012

Diagnosis: Pigeons

I signed up for a mentor at the beginning of my M1 year, and Irish Luck was ever on my side that day. I hit the jackpot! My mentor is an internist and one of the coolest physicians I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. She's chill, realistic, amazing at her job, well-connected, and passionate about teaching med students - basically the perfect combination of mentor traits.  This morning, I walked into the team room and began perusing the boards, looking for something interesting. What do I see?

Patient: fever, pigeons

Pigeons? What kind of diagnosis is this? How does it present? Is this person sprouting wings and living in the streets, following close at a passerby's heels for spare food? Did I learn about this in biochem? Is there a pathway? Pigeons?

I contemplate asking the residents about it, but then decide they look exhausted, busy, and potentially very grouchy. So, I shuffle around awkwardly and sign on to a computer. I google a few other items on the board so I am semi-in-the-loop during presentations, and then I google "pigeons." Obviously, you know what comes up.
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEhRCTpvDI9rQKxci8KVE3lDirJSkJDbKTYLffN8vmzZmSn3V6pQr9E4fDH1KP4zi911tdNXuFVxxzGovFbaanRugqva1828s_XJU6jKg5t9WRLWrG6pVg3osKMTD5LpVFi6E7kUNHdVzGo/s1600/pigeons.jpg
Google fail.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honestly your blog is great. You are definitly going to be an incredible doctor. But, you are an amazing writer. Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've read books by famous authors that weren't as interesting. on Diagnosis: Pigeons

    ReplyDelete