Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Psych in a Nut Shell (pun intended)

Officially done with my psych rotation! I was on inpatient pediatric psych and it was truly an incredible and eye-opening experience. 

Here are some highlights:

Scenario 1: More Wise Words from My Roomie

Lecturer: Think back to college. This was really common in college. What did someone on your dorm floor have? Or what did one of your high school friends get? 

..... a few moments of awkward thinking silence....


Lecturer: Come on, guys! Everyone knows someone in college who had this!

My Roomie: .... STDs??? 

We all nod in agreement.

Lecturer: NO!!! Bipolar Disorder!!!!


 ... Oh. That, too.


Scenario 2: Rocket Science... aka ECT

During psych, we have to do a mandatory morning in Electroconvulsive Therapy (Think One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest...). By the 3rd patient, the attending decided I could run the ECT session.... which basically includes being the most Bad Ass person ever



Here is how it's done: 

Patient goes under anesthesia. You hook the ECT up to patient's head, preparing to induce a short seizure. And then....... drumroll please...... you get to say this:

3...

2...

1...

Treat.

And then you push a button and it makes noise and the patient has a seizure. 


Seriously, you probably read that and think it's pretty stupid. But no! Go back! Say it. Right outloud. In a Nasa countdown kind of voice.


3...

2...

1...

Treat. 

(Push button.)




PRETTY FREAKING AWESOME! 


Scenario 3: Are you the... Nevermind.

I'm sitting at a computer and an older doctor comes up to me and says, "Are you one of the pain fellows???"

All I have to do is turn around. He glimpses the length of my white coat and immediately gives me a "Oh, you're..... nevermind." Turns around and walks away. 

Yep.  I'm the med student.





No comments:

Post a Comment