Tuesday, September 11, 2012

From Med Student to Black Widow: Every Friday

Scenario 1: 1989

Late 80's. Yours truly is 3 years old, rocking out to some Belinda Carlisle, Heaven Is A Place On Earth in my aunt's Mustang, propped up on some pillows so I can see over the dashboard.
Basically will forever be in my top 5 albums.
Note: For old time's sake, I just youtubed this song. If you are interested in a creepy music video, look no further!



Scenario 2: 1999

At 11 years old, I purchase my first CD. Obviously, it is Britney's debut album, ...Baby One More Time. I bolt upstairs to my Minnie Mouse, pink and green bedroom, pop it in my CD player, and hit play on my VCR so I can watch re-runs of Mickey Mouse Club and memorize Brit Brit's dance moves (MTV is not allowed in my house).



Scenario 3: High School Cruisin'

Well, now I am really coming into my own. I have a very mature theme song to cruise to in my Jeep (which I miss oh-so-much)... none other than Nelly's Pimp Juice. Lyrical genius.

Ex 1: "You ain't from Russia, so ----- why you rushin'?"
Ex 2: "Treat you like you from Milwaukee, send you Green Bay Packin'"

But, it is this third example that wins me over. For those of you who don't know what "pimp juice" is, here is the real definition.

Ex 3: "Pimp Juice is anything that attract the opposite sex
It can be money, fame, or straight intellect
It don't matter, bi*ch#$ got the Pimp Juice, too
Come to think about, they got more than we do
They got more juice in they talk, got more juice in they walk
They got more juice in they brains, oh God Da**!"






Scenario 4: High School Competin'

Back seat of the school bus. Windows down. Headphones on. I feel the anticipation build, but for now I am the calm before the storm. I'm already changed into my track uniform, and I grab my custom Nike track shoes and switch out whatever spikes look dull. Getting ready to dominate at my favorite event, the 100 Hurdles. I laugh because every time I visualize running them, I think back to the first time I ever attempted to hurdle. It was after my freshman year of high school. I was taking summer gym class and it was "track day." I was a cheerleader and I had never ran track. I was looking forward to being outside, but other than that, ugh. The teacher had us all get into a line and we had to go and jump the three hurdles that were set up. I'm pretty fast, and occasionally cocky, so I'm thinking, "no big deal, I'm gonna rock this."

When it's my turn, I take off at full speed, stutter step, breeze over the hurdle and somehow manage to cross my legs in air. Next thing I know, my entire body is rolling across the track, impaling itself with pieces of red rubber. I lay there, unsure if I am still alive. Everyone's silent. And then, a senior yells out, "FRESHMAN!!!" and everybody starts to laugh. It was painful, on many fronts. 

When I decided to run track the next year, I was terrified when my coach signed me up for hurdles because of my flexibility. Who would have thought I'd make districts within four meets??? 

That year started a trend, and before every track meet, I would listen to "I'm Really Hot" by Missy Elliot. 

Scenario 5: College Time

Walking to my first Physics exam, I am terrified of the unknown. Listening to my iPod, this song comes on, and it appropriately becomes my theme song for every college exam. 

The pre-exam walk is definitely the "Highway to Hell."

 

Scenario 6: MED SCHOOL

I'm in a closed room, walls covered with white boards, white boards covered with mechanisms and drug names. My caffeine level is approaching toxic, my legs are quivering and my chest is tight with pre-exam stress. I'm in sweatpants and the same shirt I wore yesterday, and I may or may not have brushed my hair this morning. 

Make-up? Does not exist. 

Sleep? What is that? 

Food? No, thank you, it would make me vomit. 

Redbull? YES! NOW!

And then, I press play. (I highly encourage you press PLAY on this one, so you can understand).

And I immediately transform from this:






To this:




I picture this scenario with my classmates:





Walking into a fight, prepared for battle. Accepting nothing less than total domination and victory. Whipping out my guns and doing flips off of walls and jumping off buildings and running through fire. And then calmly walking away after I have destroyed the opponent. How can you not picture that when listening to "Kyoto"? And does that not pump you up to walk into an exam, like a bad ass, prepared for anything, yet accepting nothing less than victory..... or at least a 70... 

1 comment: