Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Resident Ghost

Anyone ever get that creepy feeling like a spirit or a ghost is in the room? Well, that happened to me the other day, and as I was recounting the story to my 90 year-old great grandmother, it reminded me of this little med school gem. 


Basically, I live at the med school. I am a night owl, so my most productive hours are about 7pm to 3am (extremely unfortunate... currently working on being a normal person who likes daytime). As a result, I am on first name basis with all of the janitors. One of them even bought me groceries first semester. I must have looked particularly haggard and starving that week, because she came into my study room with a huge Walmart bag full of my poor-student-microwaveable-food-of-choice: Thai Peanut Noodles. She set them down on the table, told me it looked like I needed some food, and wished me luck studying. Looking back, that's kind of embarrassing... but mostly awesome. She even included mini-Nerds and Smarties for dessert. Then there's the second floor janitor. He is actually an established artist. When he handed me his card to check out his artwork online, he gave me this warning, "Don't be alarmed or offended by the nude photos." Dude, I'm gonna be a doctor. Nudity is in. Anyway, his artwork is pretty incredible. His wife is an astrologist and did a reading for me... it's amazing the things you learn about others and yourself by just striking up random conversations. They even invite me to their house for holiday dinners now. 

Back on topic. Since I know all of the janitors, I also know their cleaning schedules. I know that every time I remember that I have to pee, they will be cleaning the downstairs bathrooms. Therefore, I walk upstairs to pee on the second floor. Late at night, when I walk out of the bathroom and turn left, I see a head and shoulders in the window of the last clinical suite. At first, this alarmed me. I was totally freaked out when I walked over to see who was studying inside, and no one was there. I attributed it to too much caffeine, exhaustion, and high stress levels. Then, I saw the face again, and I saw it disappear. I was even more freaked out. Over the course of the year, I saw the face ~10-15 times total, and I got used to it, referring to her in my head as the Resident Ghost. I never mentioned this to anyone, as I say weird things on a regularly basis, and decided it best to leave this one out. Then, one night during finals week, my two girlfriends and I were leaving school late, around 3am. We all had to go to the bathroom on our way out, and I suggested we use the downstairs one because occasionally the upstairs one freaks me out. My one friends says, "OMG! Have you seen her in the window too!!??" 

How crazy is that!? My med school has a ghost. Reppin.

1 comment:

  1. Why have I never heard the janitor story before? Holy shit, that's hilariously sad. Was it Nikki?

    ReplyDelete