Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Med Student in the Veggie Aisle

With finals over,  some of us decided to get together and make sushi. I am allergic to basically everything in sushi, except rice, so my pal came up with the most American sushi concoction ever. Bacon, marinated chicken, jalapenos,  green peppers, carrots, avocado, rice.  Did I mention bacon??? Delicious. 

Anyway, my contribution to the meal was wine, of course, and avocados. When I got to the grocery store, I quickly realized I did not know how to pick out an avocado. Since it is kind of a trendy item, I didn't want to screw it up with the general "should be firm but slightly giving under pressure" rule. So, I quickly whipped out the trusty iPhone and dialed up my roomie, who is a med student by day and avocado connoisseur by night.

Me: How do you pick out a ripe avocado?

Roomie (also med student): Hmm... you want it to be like... hard... but not really... kinda squishy...

Me: (Hard? and squishy? Raise eyebrow in slight confusion, my silence prompting further instruction.)

Roomie: Like... you want it to be like.... Oh! Pitting Edema. The avocado should feel like pitting edema. 

Me: Oooooh, perfect. Thank you!

That's a normal description of a vegetable right? Yes, indeed. In fact, if you're a med student, that is an easier comparison/description to come up with than the normal one, that everyone else would understand, and that you, in fact, would have used pre-med school. 


 


No comments:

Post a Comment